Games & Icebreakers
The Dating Game
SAY: Tonight were gonna do the dating game. How many of you have heard of that?
(After polling the group, discuss some of their favorite dating shows.)
The game we’re gonna play is SO OLD it was from before MY time pretty much… So we can see how it’s done, we’re going to watch a short video clip from the original game show in 1973. Then we’ll play a few rounds for fun. (Be sure and encourage students to ham it up, the cheesier the better!)
SUPPLIES: Cinnamon, Plastic Spoon, Crunchy and Creamy Peanut Butter, Dating Game and “Oompa Loompa” videos (YouTube)
VIDEO: Andy Kauffman’s surprise guest appearance 1973.
1. 1 to 2 bachelorette volunteers and 1 to 2 bachelor volunteers will question 3 mystery contestants of the opposite sex who are hidden from view. Encourage potential “suitors” to elaborate on their answers.
2. At the end of the questioning period, he/she will choose the one who will win the date! Attention: STUDENTS ARE NOT ACTUALLY SETTING UP DATES. This to be spoofy and fun!
QUESTIONS: Rounds 1-4
1. Bachelor # 1: Which would be your choice for a first date:
a) A guided tour of a chicken processing plant.
b) A picnic in the city dump
2. Bachelor # 2: Finish this rhyme: “Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall…”
3. Bachelor # 3: What is your favorite dental instrument?
4. Bachelor # 1: I just happen to have a can of sardines with me. Will you eat one for a chance for a date with me?
5. Bachelor # 2: Would you make up a short poem about the movie “The Notebook” (or other sappy chick flick) and recite it to me now for a date with me?
6. Bachelorette # 1: Which would be your choice for a first date:
a) Your Parents kitchen.
b) Mowing my parent’s lawn together.
7. Bachelorette # 2: Peanut butter: creamy or chunky? Show your love for me by putting 3 spoons of peanut butter in your mouth and say the pledge of allegiance without swallowing any.
8. Bachelorette # 3: Will you sing along with the “Oompa Loompa” song from “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory” for a chance at a date with me?
9. Bachelorette # 1: What is your favorite muscle on a guy? Ok, now flex those muscles for the audience. If they cheer loud enough, you’ll get a chance at a date with me.
10. Bachelorette # 2: Would you make up a short poem about the movie “Iron Man” (or other macho guy movie) and recite it to me now for a date with me?
11. Bachelorette # 3: Pretend you’re a guy, and ask me out on a date. Oh, and be sure to do it in your deepest, most masculine ‘guy voice.’
Suggestion: Wrap up with a discussion about healthy relationships and safe dating habits.