This is a great event to get your kids working together doing something really fun and competitive. You will need transportation (to a surplus store or dollar store for Christmas decorations) unless your church is really close to one already.
Give each team a given time to acquire decorations and decorate their tree. (60 minutes or so . . . enough time to judge the trees at the end, hang out, and eat Christmas cookies.
Each team receives:
- A fake tree...all teams must have the same size tree, of course
- $5 for supplies
- Starter kit of decorations
Goal: Decorate your team's tree. Trees will be judged on Beauty, Economy (money efficiency), Creativity, and “Pizzazz” (over-the-top uniqueness).
- buy decorations with your teams money
- trade decorations with a stranger
- use only decorations that do not need to be returned to their previous owner
- make decorations out of recycled materials
- trade decorations with another group
You may not:
Idea by Scott Kobewka
- take decorations from your house or a friend’s house (everything must cost you something)
- use decorations that need to be returned
- sabotage another team’s decorations
- spend your own money
- use pyrotechnics
- damage your tree