||Jonathan's Resource Ezine
Weekly Resources, Ideas and Articles from The Source for Youth Ministry
Wednesday, March 28, 2001
If you aren't a subscriber of this EZINE and would like to subscribe - it's free -
just pop on www.TheSource4YM.com and sign
up in the upper right hand corner.
Well, what can I say. I just turned the big 31 and I don't feel any different. I have the same amount of hair trying to grow out of my ears and nose. I still can't eat as much pizza as I used to. . . and staying up all night with a group of junior highers is still not as fun as sleeping in my own bed next to my wife!
Last year, on March 14, 2000 I wrote an e-newsletter about "turning 30" (
CLICK HERE FOR THAT EZINE) to all you who were with me at the time:
click on March 14th for that letter
In that letter, I included "The Top 10 Signs That You're Turning 30." I thought it only appropriate that I continue in the tradition of my top 10 list. This year you get a bonus . . . two lists! We all have very different pasts and it is very likely some of you might only relate to one (and that's okay!):
Top 10 Signs You Grew Up in the 80's
by Jonathan McKee
March 28, 2001
10. You can easily recite "Big Mac, Filet of Fish, Quarter Pounder, French Fries, Icy Coke, Thick Shakes, Sundaes and Apple Pies!"
9. You wonder why David Banner's pants never tore when he turned into the Hulk.
8. You can remember taping "Friday Night Videos" and getting exited if you got "Thriller" or "Beat it!"
7. You used to say "What you talkin' about Willis" (back before the entire cast was in the tabloids!)
6. You could peg your 501's in 3 folds in less than10 seconds.
5. You pulled an all nighter once playing Asteroids and Space Invaders (or if you're really an Atari nut, you stayed up all night trying to find the secret dot in "Adventure!")
4. You wore a white "Don Johnson" jacket to your prom!
3. You remember about a week's time when you could buy a product called NEW COKE!
2. The song "One Night in Bangkok" was "rad!"
1. You didn't get shot at school!
Top 10 Signs You Grew Up in the Church in the 80's
by Jonathan McKee
March 28, 2001
10. You couldn't wait til Petra's new album came out!
31 years in God's Grace,
9. You weren't allowed to play Dungeons and Dragons (your mom told you the story of the boy who committed suicide when his D & D character died).
8. You weren't allowed to hang out with the pastor's kid! (A lot of parents had that rule about me!)
7. You weren't allowed to watch "First Blood" because it was "R."
6. You remember being bummed because Terry Bradshaw said the "S - H . . ." word in "Cannonball Run.
5. You remember the first week that you didn't sing a hymn, because there was a new thing called a praise song, handwritten on a transparency on the overhead projector.
4. You wrote a bogus name on a registration card and dropped it in the offering plate.
3. You were made aware of all the evils of backward masking!
2. You still have a Bible you caught at a Stryper concert!
1. You remember someone singing an "El Shaddai" solo at church every week!
GET THE BRAND NEW BOOK THAT PEOPLE ARE CALLING "JONATHAN'S BEST EVER WRITTEN"
click here for more